Aboriginal for a Day

On Friday, all of the Grade 3/4s had an incursion called “Aboriginal for a Day” from Cultural Infusion.

We held a welcoming ceremony in the theatre to begin with, where we met Big Al and his sons Pancakes and Azza. We were told the three rules of the day were to;

1. Have fun

2. Follow all directions

3. Have fun!

We also had our faces painted in the colours of the tribe where Big Al and his family come from. They are originally from Western Australia.

Painted Faces

Painted Faces

After our welcoming ceremony, we split into three groups to complete the three different workshops for the day. 3/4D joined forces with 3/4C and some of the 3/4Goldfish to complete the workshops. First, we listened to Big Al tell the story of the biggest crocodile. The story Big Al told was many thousands of years old!

After snack, we drew symbols with Pancakes. He was impressed about how much we already knew about Indigenous symbols. Then we had a dance lesson with Azza. We were split into four different groups and taught to dance like four different animals – waitch (emu), maloo (kangaroo), bunjool (eagle) and carda (goanna) (Miss Fraser is not sure she has spelled these words correctly so please forgive her!)

After lunch, all the 3/4s gathered in the theatre again for our closing ceremony. First, Azza performed in his tribe’s clothes the “Dance of the Spirit Tree”. One student from each class was chosen to perform their animal dance with Azza while Pancakes played the didgeridoo. Did you know that the didgeridoo was given that name by Captain Cook? The Indigenous people call it a yidaki though.

We thoroughly enjoyed our incursion and learnt so much! Thanks to Big Al, Pancakes and Azza for coming to our school (for the second time in a week!)

What learning stuck with you from the incursion? What was your favourite part from the incursion?

11 thoughts on “Aboriginal for a Day

1. I loved being aboriginal for a day.
    I really liked listening to big als story with bookamore.
    It was funny when he banged his sticks on the table
    From jasmine rm12

2. I know the Prep’s loved being Aboriginal for a day that week too. I really enjoyed watching the videos on your blog, I see you all had as much fun as we did!

3. Yeah I quite liked it as well. Big Al was quite scary when he smashed his sticks on the table.But the best bit was when we got painted.

From Alannah 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

4. Hi Miss Fraser and 3/4D,
    On Aboriginal for a day I love to dance draw and listen to dreamtime stories. There where the emu (waitch) kangaroo (mahloo) eagle (bunjule) and goanna (carda) animal dances. We where told the story of a crocodile called Borcamore who was mean, not nice and angry. There was a boy who was the same mean and not nice and he bragged to everyone because he was the best at everything. But when they met they had a giant fight, two days later they both died. I was one of two who danced for the goanna (carda) me and seven other boys in the dance for the goanna we could only do two people so we had a push up competition and I won.

5. dear 3/4D
    I loved be an aboriginal for the day it was fun and we learnt lots about aboriginals and how they wrote, the symbols and the dancing. we learnt lots about the symbols like the hut, child, man, women and the fire symbols. In the dreamtime stories we learnt to resect our elders/ teachers we also learnt the emu, kangaroo, eagle and the goanna dances

From Emma

6. HI,
    I think it was cool when pancakes put the yidaki to the teachers ears and you could hear the put a wind. Just like if you sea shell up too your ear you can hear the ocean!

7. Dear Miss Fraser and 3/4D,
    I liked your literacy. We are also learning about clocks and your sport and inquiry
    was incredible! I liked your painted faces from last year’s Aboriginal Day.

Jamie O 3/4L