IMAX & Melbourne Museum

On Monday, all 3/4 classes traveled on a bus to the Melbourne Museum. We went to the Museum and IMAX cinema because we are studying Our Earth. Our big question to answer is “How does the Earth work and what can we do to care for it?”

When we arrived, we split up into our Inquiry Workshops groups before we went on a small wander around the Museum. At the beginning of term, each 3/4 student was allowed to choose a workshop to complete to learn about whichever part of the Earth they were most interested in. The workshops we were allowed to choose from were; Mythology/Astrology, Natural Disasters, Evolution/Animal Habitats, Dinosaurs, Geology and The Big Bang/Space.

We then had booked sessions to attend so half of us went to the galleries and the other half of the group had snack outside. The exhibits we were booked in to visit were Dynamic Earth, 600 Million Years: Victoria Evolves, First Peoples & Dinosaur Walk.

Miss Fraser took the Dinosaurs group. In our free time to wander around, we went to the Mind, Marine Life, Bugs Alive & the Wild exhibits. We were booked in to the Dinosaur Walk. We saw many interesting fossils and dinosaur bones.

After the Museum, we went to IMAX cinema to watch the film ‘The Earth Wins’. The movie was a documentary showing what the natural forces of Earth are capable of. We saw images Hurricane Katrina and the bushfires of Black Saturday in Kinglake which was quite sad but made us more aware of the devastating impact that natural disasters can have.

We have enjoyed the opportunity to learn about what we’re interested in this term and hope to do more of it next term.

What was your favourite part of the excursion? What workshop were you taking part in this term? What was your favourite part of the excursion?

34 thoughts on “IMAX & Melbourne Museum

1. Hi – IT IS PARIS, MITCH”S FRIEND,

Looks like you had fantastic time at the Melbourne Museum! I looked at your photos and they were great. What really interested me was the photo of that under water animal – what was he called?

Got to Gallop,
    Paris – I am a horse lover by the way 🙂

• Hi Paris,
      Thanks for visiting our blog. Have you ever blogged before? I think I’ve seen your comments before on the 4KM & 4KJ blog! Miss Jordan and Mrs Morris taught me everything I know about blogging. You would probably know that I got the idea of Family Blogging Month from them too.
      There were very interesting animals and we loved visiting the Marine section and the Bugs Alive section – Mitch didn’t like the spiders though!
      Speak to you soon,
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

• Dear 3/4D,
        My favourite part of the museum was the 3D Geology movie in the Geology exhibit. As you can probably tell I’m in the Geology workshop. I am doing my presentation about birthstones. My group is Tyler, Phoenix, Lily and I. The boys mostly studied Diamonds,the April birthstone. A fact is Diamonds are one of the four precious birthstones. A fact about carbon is if you squeeze carbon it will become coal, if you squeeze that it will turn to Diamond. What workshop had the most popularity? What workshop had the least popularity?
        From Felicity

2. I liked watching the movie from the Museum. My favourite thing is the butterflies, they are colourful. I also like the skeletons of the animals.
    From SOPHIE.

3. Dear Miss Fraser,

What a fun excursion! The grade fours from our school went to the IMAX and The Melbourne Museum this term!

We went there to go to the koorie expedition. It was really interesting! I really liked looking at some of the little movies about the koorie people. Did you like looking at the displays for your expedition?

At the IMAX we watched a movie about the middle of Australia and about the australian animals such as koalas and kangaroos. It was different watching it, because the screen was really big!

I hoped you liked your excursion,
    Eevie 😉 ( from Miss Jordan’s class)

• Hi Eevie!
      Thanks for stopping by and visiting my class blog! Isn’t it interesting how we are looking at similar things in class?
      I know my little group didn’t get to go to the Koori exhibit but maybe some of the other groups did. We loved looking at the displays and playing around with them. Our favourite was the ‘Mind’ exhibit where we entered a room called an Ames Room. I will have to find the photo and put it up because people on the left side of the room look very small and people on the right look so big! It’s a visual illusion – I love studying visual illusions and what your brain is doing when you look at them.
      The IMAX screen was extremely big! And the sound was so loud too!
      Thanks again for stopping by!
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

• Dear Mrs Fraser,

Thank you for the reply! You comment on are class blog, so least I can do is comment on your fantastic blog.

It is a bit funny that we are doing the same things in our classes! I really loved our trip to the museum. I loved the Koori expedition! It had lots of sounds and little movies. Did the mind expedition have movies?

I loved the olden day expedition because there was display houses and horse and carts and lots of interesting things like that.

Eevie 😉

• That’s really sweet Eevie. Thanks for checking back with us!
          I always get an email whenever your class blog is updated so I never miss a post.
          From Miss Fraser 🙂

• Dear Miss Fraser,

Thank you for replying to my comment! I think it is great to look at class blogs as much as I can. I also try to leave a comment or two 🙂 .

Eevie 😉

4. Hi Tyler and the Kids of 3/4D.
    I have followed the progress of your blogging month when your dad talks about it at work. It sounds like you are doing some great activities. The best part is that you are able to share these experiences with your blogging buddies. The last Imax and Museum visit sounds awesome, I have never been to the Imax but I have heard it is great. I am interested to see what the next blogging thread will be. I am sure Ian will tell us.
    Happy Blogging
    Riccardo. Go Pies!!!

5. Hi guys,
    The excursion to Imax and Melbourne Museum sounds so interesting and fun, and so much to see and do.. What a fun excursion it must of been, it has made me want to go and see the exhibition as Earth and Dinosaurs are fascinating to me . Cant wait to hear all about it Eric..

6. DEAR MISS FRASER
    I am so glad the children enjoyed themselves at the IMAX. It’s good isn’t it? Keep up the good work.
    Holidays soon so teacher can have a rest then.

7. Hi Eric, your class is very lucky to have gone to the Museum and IMAX . It sounds like you all had plenty of fun and a great opportunity to learn more about our Earth and how it is affected by natural disasters!!! I liked that you were able to choose whichever part of the Earth you were most interested in at the Museum too. Great work 3/4’s. Keep having fun!!

8. I remember visiting the Museum not so long ago with my daughter and her school. I loved the Dinosaurs and the Bugs exhibits, it is all very interesting. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

9. dear miss fraser
    looks like the trip you took the children on was really enjoyable and they learned a lot
    i am so glad thw weather was good and did they make a lot of notes about their visit?

10. Hi 3/4D,
    Your excursion to the museum sounds wonderful. Tyler certainly had a great time. I really like the museum and looking at all the interesting things. I think my favorite area would be the dinosaurs. Just thinking about how and when they existed, and what life may have been like many years ago, it’s just fascinating.
    Keep enjoying your learning.

11. Hello 3/4 class and Miss Fraser,

This is Tyler’s uncle Colin (Tyler’s dad’s brother) from America. Your trip to the museum looks like it was awesome! So many new and different things to learn and see. IMAX films are great. I work with helicopters at NASA and IMAX made a film about helicopters right where I work. NASA is a great place to work, and I really love it, and one of my best friends here is an astronaut. Maybe the next time I come to Australia I can drop by your class and tell you about NASA and what I do there. Hope you all have fun at school this year. Colin

• Dear Colin,
      Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog. We would really like you to come into our classroom this year. We are really looking forward to it! What’s the weather like in America at the moment? We are very cold here in Melbourne! We are lucky because we are allowed to come to school in our pyjamas today.
      From 3/4D

• Dear 3/4D,

Sorry it’s so cold there at present, but it must have been great to wear warm pajamas to school! What a treat. It’s getting towards summer here. From May until October is the dry season and we don’t get any rain. It’s warm and sunny almost every day. Doesn’t that sound great?
        Colin

12. Hi Class of 3/4D! Sounds like you had a really great trip to the Museum and got to see some pretty amazing things. I live in California so I’m a long way away from the Melbourne Museum. I would like to attend the workshops on Dinosaurs and Natural Disasters! In California, we have earthquakes. Maybe I can learn more about them at the Melbourne Museum. It’s been a few years since the earth shook around here and I hope it doesn’t happen again anytime soon! Enjoy your class and happy blogging!
    Marthe

13. Dear 3/4D,

I know that you have been working hard on your school work. Keep up the great work.

From Abi 😉

14. Dear 3/4D,
    I loved hearing all about your excursion to the Melbourne Museum from Patrick. He had a ball with all his friends and loved the dinosaur exhibit the most. Pat explained that one dino leg bone was taller than him by far. We agreed that you wouldn’t have wanted to exist in that era as no doubt you would have been brunch for one of those very large beasts! Fantastic experiential learning Miss Fraser. Keep up the fantastic exploration and learning 3/4D- I think you all are stars!!!

Cheers Kymberley

15. Hi Eric, Wow IMAX sounds like a whole lot of fun. I think I would find Earth Wins very interesting too!! Well done 3/4’s!!

16. Hi Mitchell and your class. I am Angus (mitch’s friend) from Gisborne. Mitch, what was your favourite bit about it? Did you see the volcano room? The gems are my favourite .

17. Hi Tyler and 3/4D,
    I think that the spiders at the museum are pretty creepy. I would like to go on an excursion to the museum.
    What other things did you see?
    What did you discover?
    From Kiana

18. Hi Kiana,
    Great quality comment. I really enjoyed the Melbourne Museum. It was AMAZING!!!! I saw dinosaur fossils, an olden day house, all about the Earth and nature. I discovered that there are volcano’s in the ocean.
    Love From Tyler :3 <3

19. Dear Miss Fraser and others,
    I was in Mythology/Astrology,
    I loved the Old house,
    It was spooky!

From: Jess!!! 🙂

20. Hi Patrick and 3/4D,
    Great to hear you loved the dinosaurs. We recently went to visit a dinosaur exhibit at the West Australian museum. They had special barcodes on the signs under each dinosaur. When we held our iphone or ipad over the barcode a dinosaur would jump out of the picture on the screen!
    From Jacqui

21. Hi 3/4D,
    I loved the museum! Did you?
    I was in the Dinosaur group with Miss Fraser we saw lots of interesting things.
    My favourite bit was the when we saw the insects.
    What was yours? What group where you in?
    From Amber 🙂