Open Afternoon

As part of Education Week, our school held an open afternoon where parents and families were invited into our classrooms to help complete our challenge.

IMG_2380[1]

Our challenge was to build a structure using only icy-pole sticks, tape & string that could hold a tennis ball for more than 10 seconds. We talked about the strongest shape in structures being a triangle – some people chose to use this advice and some chose to ignore it. Some structures were heavily reinforced with masking tape!

IMG_2381[1]

Most of the structures could handle a tennis ball. So Miss Fraser decided to test our structures with heavier objects. First she tried a tissue box and then a large notepad. Again, most structures survived! Miss Fraser decided to then see if they could withstand having a tennis ball dropped on them…

IMG_2383[1]

It was fantastic to see students testing their own structures with tennis balls and then with heavier objects too – such as drink bottles and even the contents of a locker!

We enjoyed having so many family members in our classroom to assist with our learning. We will be holding a Family Blogging  Afternoon next week too!

What was your favourite part about our Open Afternoon challenge? Did your structure survive? Did a family member come in to see your work?

13 thoughts on “Open Afternoon

1. Hi 3/4D!
    I’ve really enjoyed having a look at your blog. My name is Mrs Nicholls and I teach Prep at a school in Melbourne. We are very busy in Prep – this term we’re learning about people who keep us safe and healthy. Last week we had a visit from Responsible Pet Ownership, teaching us how to keep safe around dogs, as well as the Fire Brigade, who taught us what to do in case of a fire. On Tuesday we’re going to visit the Kew Traffic School and will have a blast zooming around on our bikes!
    Have a look at our blog and we’d love to hear from you!
    http://prepogps2014.global2.vic.edu.au
    Best wishes from Mrs Nicholls and Prep N
    Orchard Grove PS

• Hello Mrs Nicholls,
      Thank you for taking the time to leave a good quality comment… We really enjoyed reading it! Safety is really important – we would like to learn more in our class. We think that it is good to learn about safety in Prep. Do you plan to have a visit from the Police or Ambulance too? At the moment, we are learning about how the Earth works.
      From 3/4D Learning Lizards 🙂

• Hello Mrs Nicholls,
      From 3/4D Learning Lizards 🙂

2. Hey Miss Fraser Its Nicole Mia’s Mum, The Open Afternoon was Fantastic I had Lots of Fun. Mia Showed me lots of Different Stuff you all do in class room Thank You for having us. Nicole

• Hi Nicole,
      Thanks so much for taking a risk and visiting us today for our blogging challenge! I’m glad you had a great time and that Mia could show you all the fantastic learning that she does in our class.
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

3. Hi 3/4 D
    How are you all? I love all your new pictures. But I love the first one of education week.
    From Chloe W
    P.S I am Jacksons sister

4. Hi 3/4 D,
    I loved the open afternoon too, my mum came in to see me work in my group. Our group held the the tennis ball for ten seconds, did everyone in your class hold the ball for ten seconds.
    Rory.

5. Hi Learning lizards,

I had a great time unfortunately ours didn’t survive. But we still had a great time.

Did you make a tower out of cards or make a sculpture that holds a tennis ball?