CAFE Strategy: Make a Picture or Mental Image

Today we talked about what great readers do when they read. We brainstormed many different strategies such as predicting, using context clues and choosing “just right” books.

We focused on a strategy called “making a picture or a mental image”. Sometimes we call this visualisation – or, visualising while we are reading.

We finished our class novel, “James and the Giant Peach” and Miss Fraser has now chosen our new class novel. Before we began reading, we used the title and the information from the blurb to make a picture in our heads and then on paper.

Our new class novel is called “Nim’s Island” by Australian author, Wendy Orr. Below, you can see our pictures of what we saw in our heads after reading the blurb.

Do our pictures match what you see in your head when you read the blurb? What stories have you read that create vivid pictures whilst reading?

6 thoughts on “CAFE Strategy: Make a Picture or Mental Image

1. Dear 3/4 D
    The book that makes vivid pictures in my mind is everything amazing (sort of) one of the book in Tom Gates series
    From Badr in 4B

• Hi Badr,
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving us a comment.
      I have never read any Tom Gates books before, which ones would you really recommend? What other books do you like reading? I think your class has already finished reading Nim’s Island now, what did you think of it?
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

2. Dear 3/4 Learning lizards

We are also reading Nims Island in class.
    I think they match the blurb of the book very well.
    Have you read any other Wendy Orr books?
    Who is your favorite author?
    Have you finished reading Nims Island?
    Have you done any other sratiges?
    If you have wich one is your favorite?

From Amber in 4B

3. Dear 3/4 learning lizards,

The Nim’s island book is really cool! Have you read the whole book? Are you going to watch the movie?

From Declan

4. Dear learning lizards,

I liked the pictures in the slide show. I do this as well when I read. I like creating pictures in my mind when I read. I really like chapter books I think you had a good time doing this.

From, Arsh

5. Dear learning lizards I hope you like the book it is a great book will you watch the movie when you finish it. From Christian