Brainy Learning Lizards

To understand how we learn best and how to better prepare ourselves for learning, we have been studying the brain.

First, we watched a great video that explains how our brain works. You can watch it here:

We talked about the different facts in the video. Then, we made brain caps that showed which parts of the brain controlled different things on our body. For example, our sense of sight is controlled by the occipital lobe at the rear of the brain!

brain caps

Our Home Learning Task this week is to create a fact sheet showing 10 facts about the brain. We have to make them as interesting as possible. Did you know that the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa?

What is your favourite fact about the brain? What did you learn from the Learning Brain video that you did not know before?

11 thoughts on “Brainy Learning Lizards

1. Hello Down Under! Looks like you are learning a lot of great things. We are a Gr. 3/4 class as well, and we would love to try to communicate our learning with you as well. Our class website is: http://teachers.wrdsb.ca/mrmac/ Let us know if you could teach us a little about Australia!

Mr. Mac’s Class

• Hello Mr Mac’s Class,
      Thank you for stopping by our blog and taking the time to write a comment.
      We would love to teach you a little bit about Australia. Do you have any specific questions you would like us to answer? What do you already know about Australia?
      What animals are unique to Canada?
      What are you learning about in class at the moment? We are learning about the brain, we’ve been doing some acrostic poems and our Inquiry unit at the moment is called “Me as a Learner”.
      From 3/4D 🙂

2. Dear Miss Fraser & 3/4 D,
    I loved making our brain hats also can Tyler make one too. we would enjoy if our class went on Skype.
    From Tyler and Jackson 🙂
    happy birthday Tyler!!!!

3. dear 3/4d,
    we loved the brain home learning task. did you know your brain is made up of 75% of water and that is why you need to drink so much water.
    from felicity & patrick

• Hi Felicity & Patrick,

I like your fact about the brain being 75% water. Whenever I have a headache, the first thing I do is have a big drink of water, because having a headache is a sign that your brain is thirsty and dehydrated!
      I wonder if any of the 3/4 Learning Lizards have head of Braingym? Sometimes in 4B we do some Braingym before a test or important task.

From Miss T, from 4B in Mildura 🙂

4. dear 3\4D
    its Eric here,
    I like the learning styles quiz and I
    wondered how you thought of the idea of the Mathematicians?
    From Eric

5. Hi 3/4D
    it’s Amber here
    I liked doing the brain hats and the home learning task about the brain.
    I want to know every thing about the brain now.
    I also want to know how the brain works.
    My favourite thing about the brain is making the
    brain hats.
    Have we learnt everything about the brain yet?
    from Amber

• Hi Amber,
      Hope you enjoy your day off today!
      I’m glad you like learning about the brain. I find it very interesting too. We can never know everything about the brain, there is just so much to learn and keep learning about it!
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

6. Dear learning lizards
    I didn’t know that the human brain controls the body and that the left side controls your right side. I also didn’t know that it keeps all your memories and that it is the thing that gives you good dreams and bad dreams.

from Alyssah

7. Dear learning lizards,

I really like the post and the video i learned that the left side controls the right side of your body and the oppisite with the right side. I learned alot from the video and i also learned that the brain is the boss when your asleep!

What is it like to live in Austrailia?
    From Samara