Our First Week Back

We have been working very hard during our first week back!

The Learning Lizards have been using Y-Charts to understand what makes a great classroom and what makes a great teacher. We used these Y-Charts to create our class mission statement. A mission statement is kind of like a code of conduct. Ours is:

The Learning Lizards of Room 14 will follow classroom rules and ensure that everyone is respecting our rights and responsibilities. We will have a positive attitude towards learning, never giving up and striving to work to our potential.  We are responsible learners and we will contribute and participate in all classroom learning activities. We are creative and happy learners.

We also started our class novel, James and the Giant Peach! Miss Fraser has been modelling reading with fluency and expression.

We looked very closely at our school’s rights and responsibilities:
Everyone has the right to feel safe and comfortable at school
Everyone has the right to learn and work as much as possible
Each of us have a personal responsibility and a communal responsibility to uphold these rights.

In Maths, we looked at what makes a great mathematician. We decided that Mathematicians can be normal, every day people! We also looked at numbers in our lives.

Penny returned to school and is enjoying her new, large home! She is getting to know us all. Ethan has been doing a brilliant job at looking after her properly.

Penny loves it when the boys share their moustache stickers with her!

We have also been getting to know each other quite well. Miss Fraser paired us up using the Magic Hat and we completed a Venn Diagram to show the similarities and differences between each partner. We found out some really unusual things about each other!

Overall, it has been a fantastic first week and we are looking forward to many more!

What is your favourite activity at the beginning of the year? What is your favourite subject area to learn about? What would your class mission statement have to include?

28 thoughts on “Our First Week Back

1. hi miss Frazer how are you?
    just checking out the blog we’ve had so many visitors i wonder how many people have visited our blog?
    how many times have you blogged and when did you start blogging?
    how old is penny?
    ok by
    sincerly
    katie

• Hi Katie,
      I’m great thanks. We have had a lot of visitors to our blog already! Click on the ClustrMap to see where they are all from.
      I only started blogging with my class last year but I have learnt a lot about it already. I am still learning some things too!
      Penny is now 2 years old. I don’t think she is as big as a 2 year old bearded dragon should be but that is because Sheldon would always steal her food when they were living in the same tank.
      Thanks for leaving a comment!
      Miss Fraser 🙂

2. Hi 3/4 D,
    What a great initiative.
    I’m looking forward to being part of your classroom learning and keeping in touch via the blog.
    Happy blogging
    Jodie – Tyler’s mum

• Hi Jodie,
      Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. We appreciate it very much.
      We are looking forward to a great year working with you.
      From 3/4D

3. Hi, Miss Fraser i loved all of the activitys at the start of the year but my favourite activity was the snowball fight any way how are you and penny going.

Jess:]

• Hi Jess,
      Thanks for leaving a comment on our blog over the weekend!
      I know you enjoyed the snowball fight a lot. It wasn’t very kind of you to chase me with all the snowballs though! 🙂
      I am on my way up to the country at the moment for a wedding this afternoon. Penny is at school – she stays there over the weekend. I wonder what she gets up to while we’re gone…
      Have a great weekend!
      Miss Fraser 🙂

4. Dear Miss Fraser and 3/4 D
    I have had an awesome year so far with our class I have most enjoyed so far is the fish philosophy. I hope I have an awesome year
    From Jackson

• Hi Jackson,
      I’m glad you have had an awesome year. I think you and a lot of the boys really enjoyed the Fish Philosophy. What was your favourite part about it?
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

5. Dear Miss Fraser and 3/4 D,

I loved the maths test today, it was awesome fun. I will miss you all when I am on holidays in Perth.

From Patrick 🙂

• Hi Patrick,
      I thought you might enjoy the speed test today as I think you are someone who really enjoys challenging themselves!
      Perth sounds very exciting! Have you been there before? Take some photos to show us when you get back.
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

6. hi miss fraser and 3/4 d
    this year I have had so much fffuuunnn!! I love my new classroom it so fun. My favourite thing so far this year has been the all about me people because I love maths

from Emma

7. hi 3/4D,
    today I was riding home from school and I fell off my scooter and hit my nose on the concrete. My nose is really sore,brose and swollen. Thanks to the mums and parents who stop to see if I was ok

from Emma

from Emma

• Hi Emma,
      Oh no! That sounds terrible! Were you far from home when you fell? I hope your nose isn’t broken! Did you go to the doctors?
      We have some lovely people in our school and I’m happy that they were able to get you the help that you needed.
      From Miss Fraser 🙂

8. Hi Miss Fraser and 3/4D,
    I liked the snow ball fight and the game splat so we could meet everyone in the class. My favourite math game so far has been the maths racers with the whiteboard and I like the brain breaks with timber, die young, ha yah.

From Zach : )

9. there’s been so many comments like 27 comments have been added since the last time i’ve last been on the blog we’ve had 113 people ( one hundred and thirteen people ) visited to our blog.
    From Katie

10. Hi Miss Fraser and 3/4D,
    I had lot’s of fun in Perth with my Mum,Dad,sister’s and my cousin. We went to the beach and had fun playing in the sand and in the water. It was my cousin 3rd birthday he had a party with all his friends. Hope all of 34/D had fun while I was away.

From Patrick:).

11. Dear 3/4D Learning Lizards,

Hello my name is Mitchell, I’m in 3/4D. I like footy and cricket. Some people including me are singing happy birthday what are we talking about? can we all be friends pretty please? 🙂

Bye, From Mitch.

12. Dear 3/4D,

Hello my name is Zach ,I’m in 3/4D I like footy and cricket.
    Some people including me are singing happy birthday.
    Can we be friends? 🙂

From Zach

13. Dear 3/4
    I think Ethan is an awesome lizard keeper. Also, I loved doing the acrostic poem, it was epic!

From Jackson 🙂

P.S. I love the photo of Penny

14. hi class,
    I love the moustache on Penny but since when do GIRL LIZARDS wear moustaches? 😛 XD
    I love all the work we did in the first few weeks of school 🙂
    by,katie

15. Dear 3/4 D,
    How has your year going? The pic of Penny the lizard was so funny. Hope you have the best year with Miss Frasser.
    From Chloe